The majority of applicants must pass a Virtual Entry Assessment for mail carrier, handlers, and sales associates – the largest groupm mail carriers, must take the MC 474 examination. The application process helps the postal service identify applicants that meet pre-established qualification requirements for filling vacant positions. Post Office examinations measure or evaluate knowledge, skills, and abilities to predict probable future work performance. Passing examination scores are between 70 and 100. Applicants will be advised when applying for jobs whether or not an online assessment (exam) is required.
There are exams for the trades, investigations and police, administrative positions, accounting, custodial, auto mechanics, elecdtronics technicians and others.
The application process was consolidated online under the eCareer program. Applicants develop a Candidate Profile and establish a username and password when they first apply that is used when applying for all other jobs.
Some positions require onsite proctored performance tests, include a road test for operators of postal vehicles, keyboard tests, and the test of strength and stamina for mail handlers. Others may apply. Certain performance tests can be self-certified and are addressed in your initial application package.
Examinations: (Partial List)
Exam #, Exam Title, Occupational Groups
- 230 – Motor Vehicle Operator – Motor Vehicle Operators
- 238 – Motor Vehicle – Tractor Trailer Operators
- 240 – Tractor Trailer Operator – Tractor Trailer Operators
- 473 – (473-473E) Postal Exam Carriers – Mail Handlers, Clerks
- 630 – Postal Police Officer – Police Officer
- 710 – Clerical Abilities – Secretary, Clerks, Admin.
- 711 – Stenography Transcription – Stenography
- 712/713 – CBT Ver 2.0 – Typing Test
- 714 – Computer Based Test – Data Entry
- 715 – Ver 2.0 – Data Entry
- 720 – Examination – 720 General
- 725 – Examination – 725 General
- 741 – Accounting Tech – Junior Accounting Technicians
- 744 – Accounting Tech – Senior Accounting Technicians
- 804 – Orientation Guide – Drivers Orientation
- 916 – Custodial Maintenance – Custodian and Laborer
- 943 – Automotive Mechanic – Automotive Mechanics
- 944 – Automotive Technician – Automotive Technicians
- 955 – Mechanical Test – Mechanical and Electrical Skills Trades
Positions Restricted to Applicants Eligible for Veterans’ Preference
Certain positions are restricted to applicants eligible for veterans’ preference under the Veterans’ Preference Act of 1944. This rule applies only to appointments from external recruitment sources (whether competitive or noncompetitive). The following are restricted positions in the Postal Service:
- Building maintenance custodian
- Custodian laborer
- Elevator operator
- Laborer custodial
- Window cleaner
Applicants who are not entitled to veterans’ preference may be considered for positions restricted to preference eligibles only when preference eligibles are not available for appointment.