The 474 Virtual Entrance Exam
The Virtual Entry Assessment (VEA) examination is an integral part of the application process and is administered online. It is generally recommended to complete the exam as soon as possible. You have 72 hours to complete the exam after receipt of the email from the post office that includes a link to the exam with sign on credentials. Only six of the eight testing areas (sections) are required for the MC 474 exam for the postal positions listed below.
474 Exam Menu
This group delivers mail, once it has been processed and sorted, to residences and businesses in cities, towns, and rural areas. Although carriers are classified by their type of route—either city or rural—the duties of city and rural carriers are similar. Most travel established routes, delivering and collecting mail.
Some city carriers may have specialized duties such as delivering only parcels or picking up mail from mail collection boxes. In contrast to city carriers, rural carriers provide a wider range of postal services, in addition to delivering and picking up mail.
The MC 474 Virtual Entry Assessment (VEA) Examination is required for the following occupations:
- City Carrier, and Assistant
- Casual City Carrier,
- Rural Carrier, Associate, and Assistant
Seven of the eight testing areas are required for the VEA MC 474 exam. The other section is used for sales associates.
This group delivers mail, once it has been processed and sorted, to residences and businesses in cities, towns, and rural areas. Although carriers are classified by their type of route—either city or rural—the duties of city and rural carriers are similar.
They must be customer focused, efficient, and willing to go the extra mile to service their routes and maintain a positive relationship with those they service. The exams focus on their ability to deal with sometimes irate people and handle difficult situations.
- Work Scenarios – An assessment that includes questions of a subjective nature focused on typical work situations and how you would react to them. There are no right or wrong answers and focus on suitability for the position applied for.
- Tell Us Your Story – An assessment that includes questions of a subjective nature focused on your work experience and background.
- Describe Your Approach – An assessment that includes questions of a subjective nature focused on your personality traits.
- Moving the Mail – Determines your ability to identify details to correctly sort packages and letters.
- Motivation & Drive – A motivation test that reveals what satisfies you at work. These questions evaluate how you relate to various motivational sources.
- Customer Information Verification – Assesses your ability to notice details of printed information accurately and quickly. The test presents a person’s name, old and new address; you must determine if the information is identical or not.
This exam includes six of the seven VEA exam sections. The following chart provides the number of questions for each section. Those who apply for the MC 474 exam must complete the exam within 72 hours after receipt of the postal service’s confirming email.